The Poor
As usual, God has been giving me a theme lately.
From my Daniel study Daniel pleads with King Nebuchadnezzar.
Daniel 4: 27 (NKJ)
Therefore, O king, let my advice be acceptable to you; break off your sins by being righteous, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the poor. Perhaps there may be a lengthening of your prosperity.
I heard not one, but two messages from this passage.
Matthew 25:37-40
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Even Calvin’s devotional book had something to say!
Hebrewas 13:16
Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have with those in need, for such sacrifices are very pleasing to God.
Do you think it’s any coincidence that these verses have all come to me in the last few weeks and months? Maybe it was in preparation for Thanksgiving. Not necessarily to point out that I have so much to be thankful for, which indeed I do, but to encourage me in “showing loving-kindness,” “sharing” and “doing.”
From my Daniel study Daniel pleads with King Nebuchadnezzar.
Daniel 4: 27 (NKJ)
Therefore, O king, let my advice be acceptable to you; break off your sins by being righteous, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the poor. Perhaps there may be a lengthening of your prosperity.
I heard not one, but two messages from this passage.
Matthew 25:37-40
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Even Calvin’s devotional book had something to say!
Hebrewas 13:16
Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have with those in need, for such sacrifices are very pleasing to God.
Do you think it’s any coincidence that these verses have all come to me in the last few weeks and months? Maybe it was in preparation for Thanksgiving. Not necessarily to point out that I have so much to be thankful for, which indeed I do, but to encourage me in “showing loving-kindness,” “sharing” and “doing.”
Comments