Unfinished Conversations
Am I the only mom who feels the chronic disappointment of unfinished conversations? Am I the only one who leaves a friend's house and feels like, "Oh, I forgot to ask her about..." or "We never got a chance to talk about..." or "Did she ever answer my question about...?"
Perhaps it is just this season with small children. The need for nursing, diaper changes and snacks. Little voices saying "watch me," "help me," or "he hit me." But the fact of life on Earth is time is limited, time is fleeting and we are finite. Converstations, especially with children around, can only last so long. A discussion at church can only last the 30 seconds that is allowed to "shake someone's hand next to you." Bible study has to start. Kids neet to be taken home to nap. We are bound by the confines of time.
I am so frustrated by this chronic lack of completion, the unfinished conversation, that I have to wonder, "Why?"
And the more I think about it, the more I think this frustration is actually the flip side of longing. A longing that, at it's core, is really a longing for eternity. A longing for heaven. And just like our longing for relationship and for immortality, I believe this longing was placed in our hearts by God Himself.
I run up against the finite and temporal limitations of this life and dissatisfaction builds. But I was created for more. I was created with eternity in mind and, naturally, I long for it.
So each time I leave a friend wishing we had just a little more time, I can remember that, in Christ, we were created for more. We will eventually have time. Time eternal. Where we will first, glory in Jesus and bask in God's presence. But then also enjoy the beauty of fellowship with others...in a perfect way. Where we won't forget, where we won't be plagued by our own self-centeredness and where we won't be pressed for time.
I can't wait to linger in those conversations. To tarry. To abide. And perhaps that is why this longing goes so deep and seems so universal. Because God has created us to abide.
Perhaps it is just this season with small children. The need for nursing, diaper changes and snacks. Little voices saying "watch me," "help me," or "he hit me." But the fact of life on Earth is time is limited, time is fleeting and we are finite. Converstations, especially with children around, can only last so long. A discussion at church can only last the 30 seconds that is allowed to "shake someone's hand next to you." Bible study has to start. Kids neet to be taken home to nap. We are bound by the confines of time.
I am so frustrated by this chronic lack of completion, the unfinished conversation, that I have to wonder, "Why?"
And the more I think about it, the more I think this frustration is actually the flip side of longing. A longing that, at it's core, is really a longing for eternity. A longing for heaven. And just like our longing for relationship and for immortality, I believe this longing was placed in our hearts by God Himself.
I run up against the finite and temporal limitations of this life and dissatisfaction builds. But I was created for more. I was created with eternity in mind and, naturally, I long for it.
So each time I leave a friend wishing we had just a little more time, I can remember that, in Christ, we were created for more. We will eventually have time. Time eternal. Where we will first, glory in Jesus and bask in God's presence. But then also enjoy the beauty of fellowship with others...in a perfect way. Where we won't forget, where we won't be plagued by our own self-centeredness and where we won't be pressed for time.
I can't wait to linger in those conversations. To tarry. To abide. And perhaps that is why this longing goes so deep and seems so universal. Because God has created us to abide.
Comments
Regarding worldviews, David Noebel wrote a great book on the subject, called Understanding the Times, which is available from Summit Ministries' online store (summit.org). They have a whole curriculum based on the book, which a homeschooling family we know bought and we use it in our current Bible study with them. The videos are really interesting and provide a great intro to not only understanding the most common kinds of worldviews, but they help you learn how to effectively defend the Christian worldview.
If you would like to connect with other homeschoolers online or would like to ask for some advice, my wife would probably be happy to help. She's currently taking a break from blogging (too busy with life and homeschooling), but you can leave her a comment, to get in touch with her: lightinthesphere.blogspot.com.
One day, as you said, there will be ample time to abide.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net