The Right Tool for the Job

As the saying goes, "Use the right tool for the right job!"

I always thought this was a cleaver man-saying in order to get more tools or gadgets.

I never would have expected that one of the Right Tools for Homeschooling would indeed come from the garage. 

Do you know what this is?

It's a 165 foot tape measure! 
Why do we have it? I don't know.
Do we use it a lot? No, not really. 

But we have used it see size and distance comparisons between the earth, moon and sun.  We stretched it out along our street to see how long the biggest dinosaur might have been (100 feet).  We measured the distance that kangaroos can hop (30 feet).  And this week we learned that the largest animal on earth, the blue whale, measuring 108 feet, would not fit in our backyard.  At least not it if was lying straight.   


So what have I leaned?  The right tool for measuring long distances is a LONG tape measure.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't really want to be stretching and marking and adding the length of Calvin's little 8 foot tape measure just to see how big a giant squid will grow.  But then again, that might be a different lesson for learning.  

Do you have any indispensable teaching tools around your house?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Layer Cake

Comments