Book Review: One Thousand Gifts
One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
by Ann Voskamp
I was introduced to the joy of Ann Voskamp's blog a few years ago. Her lyric style of writing, beautiful photography and rich spiritual leaning cause her blog to top my short-list of regularly visited sites.
When One Thousand Gifts hit the shelves I put it on my wishlist, but ultimately decided to borrow it from the library. Funds and shelf space are increasingly limited. I waited on the waiting list.
And then I read...late into the night...I filled it with tabs; moved by the words, aching with sad familiarity, hoping for revelation, feeling the illumination that only happens when the Holy Spirit whispers truth.
The beginning of the story goes like this. See if you can relate to any part:
A dramatic change however awaits the author and, if allowed, the reader too. "It was a dare, like a love dare of sorts...She dares me, and I don't even blink. Could I write a list of a thousand things I love?"(p 44-45)
And the rest of the story is a journey. Her journey down this path toward a thousand loves; recognizing gifts; practicing thanks. "The work, the kids, the meals, the laundry, the ministry, a life so full it can seem empty. And then on top of all that, who has time to take on yet one more thing and keep a gratitude journal, count gifts? Who has time to tally up one thousand of them? Can our time-crammed lives handle yet one more thing?" (p 63)
And then there is a realization: The real problem of life is never a lack of time. The real problem of life--in my life--is lack of thanksgiving. (p72)
Without a doubt God prepared me for this book. Maybe that's why I had to wait for it on the library waiting list. If you've been around lately I may have roped you into a conversation about Perspective or Priorities or God's Yes or Anger or Time or Simplicity. They all seem to meet together here in One Thousand Gifts.
When I finished the book it was full of tabs. Even now, I feel as if I need to revisit my tabs. I need to begin practicing thanks and see how it changes my reading. I need to re-read with the end in mind. But I had to return it to the library! So I bought my own copy. And one for a friend. And I would buy one for everyone I know, if I could. So, with that, I will have to resort to a recommendation. I highly recommend One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. Perhaps God has been preparing a message just for you.
by Ann Voskamp
I was introduced to the joy of Ann Voskamp's blog a few years ago. Her lyric style of writing, beautiful photography and rich spiritual leaning cause her blog to top my short-list of regularly visited sites.
When One Thousand Gifts hit the shelves I put it on my wishlist, but ultimately decided to borrow it from the library. Funds and shelf space are increasingly limited. I waited on the waiting list.
And then I read...late into the night...I filled it with tabs; moved by the words, aching with sad familiarity, hoping for revelation, feeling the illumination that only happens when the Holy Spirit whispers truth.
The beginning of the story goes like this. See if you can relate to any part:
I wake to the discontent of life in my skin. I wake to self-hatred. To the wrestle to get it all done, the relentless anxiety that I am failing. Always, the failing. I yell at children, fester with bitterness, forget doctor appointments, lose library books, live selfishly, skip prayer, complain, go to bed too late, neglect cleaning the toilets. I live tired. Afraid. Anxious. Weary. (p 27)
A dramatic change however awaits the author and, if allowed, the reader too. "It was a dare, like a love dare of sorts...She dares me, and I don't even blink. Could I write a list of a thousand things I love?"(p 44-45)
And the rest of the story is a journey. Her journey down this path toward a thousand loves; recognizing gifts; practicing thanks. "The work, the kids, the meals, the laundry, the ministry, a life so full it can seem empty. And then on top of all that, who has time to take on yet one more thing and keep a gratitude journal, count gifts? Who has time to tally up one thousand of them? Can our time-crammed lives handle yet one more thing?" (p 63)
And then there is a realization: The real problem of life is never a lack of time. The real problem of life--in my life--is lack of thanksgiving. (p72)
Without a doubt God prepared me for this book. Maybe that's why I had to wait for it on the library waiting list. If you've been around lately I may have roped you into a conversation about Perspective or Priorities or God's Yes or Anger or Time or Simplicity. They all seem to meet together here in One Thousand Gifts.
When I finished the book it was full of tabs. Even now, I feel as if I need to revisit my tabs. I need to begin practicing thanks and see how it changes my reading. I need to re-read with the end in mind. But I had to return it to the library! So I bought my own copy. And one for a friend. And I would buy one for everyone I know, if I could. So, with that, I will have to resort to a recommendation. I highly recommend One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. Perhaps God has been preparing a message just for you.
Comments
P.S. I miss my library card.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net