Bubble Skirt Tutorial

It is an unwritten law of the universe:  If you have a truck people ask you to help them move.
Akin to this is:  If you have a sewing machine people ask you to make costumes.

I have certainly used my machine to make plenty of costumes for the kids and adults around this house.  So when my 13 year old friend asked me to help her make Bubble Skirts for the Taylor Swift concert I was game. 

I ended up with three adorable skirts, but in the process I actually made five skirts!  First I tried to copy a design I had on hand, but I quickly realized I needed more of a tutorial.  I finally found two that, when combined, were exceptionally helpful.  But in an effort to make the learning curve shorter for someone else (and to remember what I did when I try to sew another one) I thought I would write a tutorial of my own. 


Supplies:
Fabric for the outer skirt
Fabric for the lining
Matching/coordinating thread
Elastic (3/4" wide)
  
I will assume you have standard sewing supplies such as:
    Scissors and/or a rolling cutter
    Sewing machine and needles
    Chalk or marking pencil

Use a 1/2" seam allowance.


Step 1.  Take Measurements
Just like they say in woodworking...measure twice, cut once!  So we will start with all our measurements.  I would recommend actually writing them down and, if you are making more than one skirt, putting the person's name on the paper.

-Measure and write down the waist size in inches.  (The measurement around the waist where you would wear your waistband)

-Measure and write down the desired length in inches.  (This will probably be from the waist to the knee)


Step 2.  Do the Math
Calculate your cuts using the following forumla (adapted from Nancy's Couture).
You will end up cutting two of each of these.

Skirt Width
Waist measurement X 1.25 = width of skirt

        ___________ X 1.25 = ________

Skirt Length
Length from waist to knees + 4" = length of skirt

        ___________ + 4" = ________



Lining Width Waist measurement X 0.75 = width of lining

        ___________ X 0.75 = ________


Lining Length
Measurement from waist to knees - 1" = Length of lining

        ___________  -  1" = ________



Waistband Width
Waist measurement X 0.75 = waistband length

        ___________X 0.75 = ________

Waistband Length
You do not need to calculate it.  It is 3".


Step 3.  Check Double check your math.  (I know you don't think you need to, but you'll thank me later!)     Step 4.  Cut Using the measurements you calculated in Step 2.
Cut TWO rectangles for the Outer Skirt.
Cut TWO rectangles for the Lining.
Cut TWO rectangles that are 3" x the width you calculated above for the Waistband


Step 5.  Taper Cut
On the skirt rectangle make a small mark 4" up from the bottom.

On the top edge mark 2" in from the side.

Draw a line connecting the two dots and cut the diagonal. 

Repeat on the other side.
This will give your outer skirt a slight A-line shape and help with the bubble effect.

Step 6.  Sew
With right sides together, sew both side seams of the Outer Skirt. 

I used this modified zig-zag stitch because of the type of fabric I was using.  It seemed to pucker less.  

With right sides together, sew both side seams of the Lining.

I used a straight stitch here. 

Step 7.  Bottom Edge of Skirt: Gather and Sew
Along the bottom edge of the Outer Skirt sew a basting stitch. 
Pull the end threads to gather ruffles. 

See Straight Grain blog for a tutorial on gathering perfect ruffles

Bottom edges.  Right sides together.
Adjust the bottom edge of the Outer Skirt to fit and pin it to the Lining.
Sew.  Turn right side out.

Step 8.  Top Edge of Skirt: Gather and Sew
Along the top edge of the Outer Skirt sew a basting stitch.
Pull the end threads to gather ruffles.

Top edges.  WRONG sides together. 
Pin Outer Skirt to Lining.  Adjust to fit. 
Sew.  Set aside.


Step 9:  Waistband
Take the two waistband pieces. 
Right sides together sew one short end together.
Along one long edge fold up a 1/4" and iron (wrong sides together).

Turn skirt inside out. 
Pin right side of waistband to the lining. 
Sew.   

Turn the skirt right-side out. 
Pull the waistband around to the front, making a pocket for the waistband.
Sew very close to the edge covering all previous stitches.
    Step 11 and 12 at Sew, Mama, Sew are helpful. 

This will finish the top edge of the skirt. 

At the open end of the waistband I finger-folded the raw ends leaving an unsewn gap where I could thread in the elastic.  I also needed to leave the elastic exposed as I didn't know the exact size of some of the girls. 

See the esposed elastic.
  
The coloring is off, but you can see how the Outer Skirt is see-through (with sparkels) and the Lining is solid satin.

My three (correctly) finished skirts.   

Aren't the concert-goers adorable!  (One of the skirts was made by someone else.)


Thanks again to the inspiration and direction from:
 - Sew, Mama Sew! (and Straight Grain)
 - Nancy's Couture

I'm not sure if the world needs another blogger posting tutorials, but they sure are a lot of fun. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Super cute... you are so amazingly talented! I hope they had a blast at the concert! kmc

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Layer Cake

Comments