#45 Run a 5K

Hooray for me! I ran a 5K. Well...it's a little misleading to say I ran because I didn't run the whole thing. But I ran a lot and I completed it (in about 36 minutes) and I'm still alive!

Here's what I learned:
-Don't register on line. I paid $8.75 in extra fees.
-I am more fit for my kids. My fitness goals were motivated initially for personal reasons...I just want to feel better and look better. But I have discovered that it is very motivating to be able to keep up with my kids and to enjoy their active play.
-I get bored. After just a few months running in my neighborhood I am bored with the scenery.
-I need external motivation, but not a lot. I needed the motivation of having a race to train towards. I did not, however, need a daily running buddy. I needed the Couch-to-5K plan to give me some structure. I did not need to to have a running partner for the race.
-There is always someone/something to race even if you're not at the front of the pack. I came in after about 3/4 of the other runners, but I set some little personal goals along the way. I will run all the way to that intersection. I am not going to let anyone pass me in the last half. I will cross the finish line running. And that worked for me.

Now for all of you who keep saying, "I'll join you in the next race" I just have to say that I've completed my task and can cross this item off my list. But...the Vail Jingle Trail is the cutest name ever...and it's only two months away.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Donita, on finishing the 5K! I've recently started running in races and training for those has certainly helped challenge me. A few people at VCC are trying to put together a run sponsored by the church so don't stop yet. :-)Cynthia
Anonymous said…
Wow! Running a 5K race is awesome. Good for you! I peeked at the other stuff on your "list". You have some worthy goals.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I always like making new bloggy friends. Love the name of yours!

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Layer Cake

Comments