Broken
I got married when I was 20 and divorced when I was 23.
I could reflect on many different facets from that time of my life. God has taught me so much. But for the last few years I've been sensing God working again directly in this area related to my first marriage. I am thankful that He has been bringing some things full-circle...and giving me a chance for do-overs.
This week, however, God has been at work again. This time, in the china cabinet.

In 1997 after three short years of marriage I moved to a little one-bedroom apartment by myself. Like many people do, when I moved out I took "half." I left the every-day dishes and I took the good dishes. Nortake. Squirewood pattern. About $60 per 5-piece place setting. From Dillards. They had been the "good dishes" but I started using them every day. I sat on the couch and ate dinner from them in front of the TV. I put saran wrap over them and put them in the refrigerator. I threw them in the dishwasher. I loved them then and I love them now.
My dear husband and I got married almost nine years ago and those dishes came with me from my little apartment. They have been used, but mostly they sit in the cabinet, like good china does, and waits for special occasions. That is until yesterday. I pulled out a plastic plate for one of the kid-o's and as soon as I closed the door I heard a terrible crashing. Instinctively I reopened the door only to see the top shelf cave and my fine china bowls and tea cups hit the floor.
There were shards of glass and pottery everywhere in the cabinet so I pulled everything out and ran it through the dishwasher. Now with stacks of plates and bowls and glasses covering the counter tops I have made a decision about the good dishes. I have decided I will not put them back in the cabinet. They can find a good home elsewhere, but I think it is time that I part with them.
I am finding this decision more difficult than I expected. The plates and tea cups and saucers hold very little sentimental value. But they are beautiful and I know they were expensive. I have been searching my heart trying to find the root of my mixed emotions about giving away the Good Dishes. And here it is: In my broken and greedy heart I fear that I will never have anything this nice again.
I could reflect on many different facets from that time of my life. God has taught me so much. But for the last few years I've been sensing God working again directly in this area related to my first marriage. I am thankful that He has been bringing some things full-circle...and giving me a chance for do-overs.
This week, however, God has been at work again. This time, in the china cabinet.

In 1997 after three short years of marriage I moved to a little one-bedroom apartment by myself. Like many people do, when I moved out I took "half." I left the every-day dishes and I took the good dishes. Nortake. Squirewood pattern. About $60 per 5-piece place setting. From Dillards. They had been the "good dishes" but I started using them every day. I sat on the couch and ate dinner from them in front of the TV. I put saran wrap over them and put them in the refrigerator. I threw them in the dishwasher. I loved them then and I love them now.
My dear husband and I got married almost nine years ago and those dishes came with me from my little apartment. They have been used, but mostly they sit in the cabinet, like good china does, and waits for special occasions. That is until yesterday. I pulled out a plastic plate for one of the kid-o's and as soon as I closed the door I heard a terrible crashing. Instinctively I reopened the door only to see the top shelf cave and my fine china bowls and tea cups hit the floor. There were shards of glass and pottery everywhere in the cabinet so I pulled everything out and ran it through the dishwasher. Now with stacks of plates and bowls and glasses covering the counter tops I have made a decision about the good dishes. I have decided I will not put them back in the cabinet. They can find a good home elsewhere, but I think it is time that I part with them.
I am finding this decision more difficult than I expected. The plates and tea cups and saucers hold very little sentimental value. But they are beautiful and I know they were expensive. I have been searching my heart trying to find the root of my mixed emotions about giving away the Good Dishes. And here it is: In my broken and greedy heart I fear that I will never have anything this nice again.
Comments
When I have these same kind of thoughts, I try to remind myself of Ephesians 3:20 - "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..." He can do MORE and BETTER than I can even IMAGINE! His dreams are much, much grander than my own.
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net