Supply

My Thursday Bible study group takes a break in the summer, like many others. And in Beth Moore's words (and my own experience), three months without Bible study equals about 2 1/2 months in a pit. I did not intentionally join Beth's online summer Bible study, but after realizing it was a study of Ruth I ordered a workbook at the last minute and dug in.

It has been a fabulous study and, as is often the case, the study has been intersecting with real life and real people over and over. What I am discovering is that God uses his Word to speak a message of conviction to me or to give me a specific prayer for a situation or to whisper a bit of encouragement for someone else. These usually aren't the same verses that I have memorized, but are rather more obscure verses or even the study notes in my Bible or the words of the author of the workbook. Our pastor has become fond of saying, "Really...you've gotta read your Bible." And I whole-heartedly agree. This isn't something I didn't already know, but it is hitting me with fresh power these days. Because every time I'm in the middle of reading and a friend half-way around the world is brought to mind or I'm convicted in my parenting or a prayer wells up for my husband, I know it is God reveling to me that his Word is living and active. I just wanted to share this from the lesson today. We read Ruth 3:14-18 and compared it to Matthew 15:29-37 where Jesus feeds 4000.

He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. They all ate and were satisfied. Matt 15:35-37

[Boaz]also said, "Bring me the shawl you are wearing and hold it out." When she did so, he poured into it six measures of barley and put it on her. Then he went back to town. When Ruth came to her mother-in-law, Naomi asked, "How did it go, my daughter?" Then she told her everything Boaz had done for her and added, "He gave me these six measures of barley, saying, 'Don't go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.' "Ruth 3:15-16

Remembering that Boaz is the Christ-figure, the kinsman redeemer, in Ruth, the author asks: What does this teach about Christ being our supply?

The author then follows up with these comments:
"...receiving our supply from God isn't always as tangible as a bag of grain, a fish, or a piece of bread...This kind of spiritual supply comes from being in Jesus' presence. Meditating on the pages of Scripture. Committing to focused prayer. Waiting quietly on Him so our spirits can learn His voice. Ruth knew where Boaz was, she sought him out, and she lay at his feet. It's not surprising she walked away with something to offer someone else."

I thought that was so encouraging and challenging and beautiful. I love the matter-of-fact and clear presentation for a spiritual supply, almost like a list.
- be in Jesus' presence
- meditate on Scripture
- pray
- wait
- listen

And do you notice how Ruth visited the threshing floor in both a literal and figurative way. She did the work. And miraculously she walked away with something to offer someone else.

So if you are in a Summer season away from a regular Bible study and you're feeling a little empty and you're wondering how you're going to make it to the Fall start-date remember that God has an unlimited supply of grain or fish or bread or wisdom or comfort or love. Christ himself is our supply.

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Ps 90:14

Comments

Steph W said…
I always loved the image of Ruth laying at his feet as it is such a comfortable place. Laying at the feet of our King, knowing that just by being in his presence there is peace that is unimaginable. Such a wonderful thing to be the daughter of such a King!

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Layer Cake

Comments