Book Review: When You Rise Up

When You Rise Up: A Covental Approach to Homeschooling
by R.C. Sproul, Jr.


R.C. Sproul quickly moves through many of the battles surrounding education. Who is called to do the teaching? What should be taught? And by what method? However, he takes a step backwards and states, "Before we can even try to agree on the answers, we need to see if there is anything prior we can agree on." (p13) And then goes on to address three prior questions: Is education important and valuable? By what standard? What exactly is the goal of education?

I found his discussion of these six questions clear, concise and compelling. Not to mention that the simplicity of his answers relies on the simplicity of Scripture's response to these questions. It is very easy to get distracted with the importance of algebra and phonics, preparing students to get good test scores and good jobs, and what the experts have to say. For this reason I found Sproul's simple balance appropriate. "I am not arguing that it's a bad thing for children to be smart. Rather, I am suggesting that the issue of education is always the heart." (p29) Well, when you put it that way, I am encouraged to tend to my kid's hearts. Who can do that better than their mom? Who can do it better than thier dad?

"By now many of you are thinking: 'I thought I was reading a book on education. This sounds more like Sunday school or youth-group material.' ... This is simply more evidence of our fundamental confusion over education. ... Education is discipleship." (p20-1) This is the crux of Sproul's book and his thesis is rather straight-forward. "We teach our children by talking with them of the things of God." (p141)

There it is: Talk to you kids. Talk to them about God. All the rest is related, yet secondary.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deut 6:4-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rainbow Layer Cake

Comments