Ruth: Week 6
Here we are at the end of our Ruth study already. I feel like these six weeks have flown by and I am sad to be saying good-bye to Ruth (at least, for now).
If you've been reading along in Ruth without the workbook I want to add a few verses to round out your study. I would encourage you to read Matthew 1:1-16 paying attention to whose genealogy is recorded, how it overlaps with the genealogy listed in Ruth 4:18-22 and where Ruth fits in. As the study author points out, these verses introduce "a name that comes after King David, where the Book of Ruth leaves off--the name that is above all names." This is truly "the crown of our story."
Way back in Week 1 as we began our work in this little book of the Bible I was impressed by Hebrews 4:12:
I suspected that God would have something for each of us. I suspected that God's Word would be alive to us at just the right time and in just the right circumstances even though this study was published in 2009 and even though Ruth was originally written around 1010BC.
It is fitting that this week I was reminded of a related concept from Isaiah 55. It acts as a nice book-end along with the Hebrews verse.
If you've been reading along in Ruth without the workbook I want to add a few verses to round out your study. I would encourage you to read Matthew 1:1-16 paying attention to whose genealogy is recorded, how it overlaps with the genealogy listed in Ruth 4:18-22 and where Ruth fits in. As the study author points out, these verses introduce "a name that comes after King David, where the Book of Ruth leaves off--the name that is above all names." This is truly "the crown of our story."
Way back in Week 1 as we began our work in this little book of the Bible I was impressed by Hebrews 4:12:
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
I suspected that God would have something for each of us. I suspected that God's Word would be alive to us at just the right time and in just the right circumstances even though this study was published in 2009 and even though Ruth was originally written around 1010BC.
It is fitting that this week I was reminded of a related concept from Isaiah 55. It acts as a nice book-end along with the Hebrews verse.
As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
God's word will not return void! It will accomplish what God desires and achieve the purpose for which it was sent!
What about you? Did the study of Ruth accomplish something in your life? Did it achieve a purpose to you?
Even if you don't think it did or are uncertain about it, I suspect that God's answer would be a resounding "Yes!"
Thank you for taking this journey with me!
Comments