100 Days of School
We celebrated 100 Days of (home)School last week. I found a ton of great ideas on-line, so here are a few of the activities we chose.
-Counted to 100
-Counted by 10s to 100
- Made 100 Snack Packs with 10 each of 10 different ingredients. Calvin did a great job counting, Andrew did a good job filling his bag with M&Ms and marshmallows.


- 10 stacks of 10 books each
-Predicted the weight of 100 items; weighed; charted.

-We also talked about who's ages would add up to 100, but we didn't actually do the math. I loved the idea, but the concept seemed a little too far outside of Calvin's grasp.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how many days we've been doing school. We started school way back in July because we had our curriculum, Calvin doesn't know your not supposed to start school in July, and in fact our local school district does start school in July. Now we are on week #17 of our alphabet based lessons/units. We have lengthened some units like Water and the Five Senses. We've taken a break from school when we travel or camp. We visit family regularly during weekdays; sometimes we do school on those days and sometimes we don't. Sometimes Calvin says "I want to do school" at 7pm on a Saturday so we'll spend some time reading or doing math. Some days are bad-all-around and we spend a lot more time outside or playing games than doing school work. It's all a little free-flowing, but I like it that way.
I guess I am a little surprised to find ourselves already at this 100 Days of School milestone, more-or-less. It seems like I should have a Lesson-Learned or Ten New Goals for the remainder of the school year, but I do not. All I can say is that I love being with my kids at home. I love "doing school." I love all the opportunities for learning that have nothing to do with workbooks or curriculum. I would do it again 100 Days-over...I mean, 100-times-over!
Comments